SONG OF THE DAY (#187)

'umbrella,' by rihanna & 'umbrella,' scott simons

every once in a while i like to break out my inner homie (is that how you even spell homie? meh. who knows). i get my crunk on, my bling on, my pimped out ride on, my kristal in the cooler on. if i'm feeling super gangsta, i try to wear a grandfather clock around my neck so i can out flavah flav flavah flav. know what i'm sayin? (it's actually more like a pocket watch. who says size is everything?)

so, 'umbrella' pretty much gets my vote for top song outside of my preferred genres of music. the song's power is pretty undeniable. and you know, hip hop and electronica are more like siblings separated at birth. the only difference is that one grew up in europe and the other in the inner city. i mean, really. that's it. so it's not really surprising that the song has some serious crossover potential. and it's not really surprising that someone would cover it indietronica style. granted, i didn't think it would happen this soon, but hey, might as well strike while the iron's hot. and that's exactly what scott simons did. it actually sounds like aqualung covering rihanna, which ain't no bad thing. it also shows that a great song will work in just about any genre. enjoy...and go buy the scott simon version off iTunes. it's only a $1 clam. good deal, that.

��� rihanna: umbrella / video
��� scott simon: umbrella
��� rihanna: umbrella (zax extended remix)

5 shout outs:

megs said...

your street cred just went up a few notches. and I didn't even think that was possible!

I've been listening to both versions on repeat for the last hour. Love them both!

matt lohrke said...

werd.

Dainon. said...

I was hoping you'd post the Mandy Moore version of this track.

matt lohrke said...

yeah, i don't have that version. :)

Dainon. said...

Then find and post it you must. Do or do not. There is no try.