happy [un]valentine's day...

so it's valentine's day again. truth be known, i'm not the biggest fan of valentine's day. it's right up there with arbor day, boxing day, and cinco de mayo [or cinco de drinko, as they called it at my former employer. cinco de drinko involved congregating at the park after work and downing jell-o shots. i never participated, obviously, but it's make me laugh what some people will do to justify a drink]. i guess i've never been too keen on it because, aside from two or three times, i've never really had occassion to celebrate it. but you know, that's perfectly ok with me.

so, instead indulging on chocolates and conversation hearts, on valentine's day i wax nostalgic and relive all the past loves; the bitter breakups; the broken hearts; the stalking, er, i mean, well, ok, the stalking [never underestimate the power of a wig and a couple of walkie-talkies]; but most importantly, i listen to really depressing music. it's a really cathartic experience, you know? no song, to me, is more depressing than the smiths' 'i know it's over.' the first line alone is enough to send you over the edge: 'oh, mother, i can feel the soil falling over my head. and as i climb into an empty bed, oh well, enough said.' i always interpreted that as the dirt falling over the coffin, the 'bed' being said coffin. it could mean something else entirely, but thanks to the ambiguity of the lyric, that's what it means to me. so if you're gonna be spending the evening alone, don't listen to that song. it ain't healthy. in addition to 'i know it's over,' i've included a few songs guaranted to make you miserable on this jolly day of love. as my friend preston likes to say, 'embrace the pain.' indeed.

[un]valentine's day e.p. 2008:

→ the smiths: i know it's over
→ asobi seksu: goodbye
→ m83: teen angst
→ alison moyet: wishing you were here
→ new buffalo: cheer me up thank you
→ guillemots: if the world ends
→ boy least likely to: be gentle with me

3 shout outs:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, Matt! I was telling Ryan last night about the anti Valentine CD you made about 5 or 6 years ago, I loved that CD!!

Eso said...

Matty, I remember Cinco de Drinko! HA! I looked forward to seeing who would call in on SICK SIXTH. Is it just me or are those hearts a little phallic in nature?

Eso said...

ps I'm not preggers anymore...I was when I was bloggin, tho.