SONG OF THE DAY (#270)

'never gonna give you up' | rick astley

so i was just over at my friend chris' blog and that cheeky kid rick rolled me. i thought i was clicking on a link to the upcoming 'hobbit' movie, but dah! rick astley! even better!! awesome!! in all honestly, i love that i got rickrolled because i love me some rick astley. i really do. the man is fabulous. i mean, shoot, just check out that glorious, glorious hair! that's an A+ pompadour right there, kids. add to it the soft lighting and the serious, yet enigmatic stare and you have the equivalent of chunk of gold in the palm of your hand. yep.

then there's the video. it's too awesome for words. particularly rick astley funky-white-man finger snappin' whilst dressed in denim head-to-toe. how many kinds of awesome is that? psh. no one knows because no one can count that high. i hope the wardrobe coordinator got a fat christmas bonus for that dashing ensemble.

i vividly remember this video from the early days of eMpTV. it was the summer of 1987. i was visiting my grandma in hacienda heights, ca for a week or two [this was about a year and a half after we moved behind the zion curtain] and she had cable. we didn't have cable, so i taped so much eMpTV. i also taped predator off HBO. awesome movie, by the way. arnold, jessie 'the body' ventura [both future governors], and carl weathers chasing a camouflaged alien through the jungle with heavy artillery? forget it, man. awesome. but anyway, i taped that rick astley video and watched it over and over. once a sucker for a pop song, always a sucker for a pop song. apparently lots of other people thought it was awesome, too, 'cos 'never gonna give you up' went #1 all over the world, including right here in the good old u.s. of a.

if you think i'm kidding, i'm not. i own two rick astley albums and a japanese import of 12" remixes. so there. eat it. then go rick roll yourself, ya heard?

thank you, stock, aitken & waterman, for making it all possible.

rick astley: never gonna give you up | video
rick astley: together forever | video

4 shout outs:

Unknown said...

Rick Astley! Oh my goodness. I loved that song. I still love that song. I think I may still have a cardboard replica of the cover for Together Forever I begged the local record store for in my 80's box.

I even think about the song and I start to do the hip swivel arm shake thing. I preffered the all black with the yellow trench outfit myself.

Thanks for the flashback.

I am Chree-uz. said...

Hahaha yes my friend, I am glad someone appreciated. A good Rick Roll is always welcome in my book. I think I have to agree, how can one not hear that, or WATCH it for that matter, and swivel and shake? You can be anywhere and as soon as that is playing over head, the whole department store is doing the Rick Astley. Damn.

Glad you enjoyed, and I'm honored it spawned a song of the day nod ;)

P.S.- I love the hell out of Predator. "Stick around"

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that is so funny! I always thought he had such a deep, manly voice for such a pretty young guy. I bet you made out in the back of your car to that one!!

Anonymous said...

hahaa, Matt you amaze me. Just when i thought we couldn't be more alike, you pull out the Astley Card!

Comedy, I actually dl'd this from my sister a few months ago -- honestly!

never gonna give! never gonna give!

-Tim