i heart asobi seksu

so the asobi seksu show last was a-may-zing! it was just as great as i hoped it would be. not only did they rock mightily, but they also unveiled some new tracks, as well as the new album title ['hush']. they played pretty much everything i hoped to hear [strawberries, thursday, new years, pink cloud tracing tiger, i'm happy but you don't like me, me & mary], but highlight was definitely 'red sea.' as expected, it was the set closer before the encore and it was downright euphoric. now i knew yuki was freaking rad already, but about five minutes into the song, she ditched the keyboards, jumped on the drum kit, and proceeded to beat holy craps out it for the next three minutes. i swear, it was the hottest thing i've experienced up to this point in my life. i nearly passed out on the spot.

the best part, however, was after the show when my friend kevin asked he could take a picture of me and yuki [this was after a i gloriously failed to ask myself]. naturally, i was super nervous so i pulled my friend chris into the picture with me. chris speaks japanese so he rapped a little bit with yuki while i was dry-heaving in the background. chris, being the cool cat his is, casually threw up the thumbs up while i stood in the background with a goofy smile and tried, unsuccessfully, not to look like a five-star clod. oh well. hopefully they will come back and i can actually drum up conversation with them.

now, i know it looks like yuki was superimposed in the photograph, i can assure you she is really that little. she can't weigh more than 90 lbs in steel-toed boots. girl is tiny! but you kind of have to to hit the notes on the upper register!

i don't know that i've fully come down from the asobi seksu high, and that's quite all right with me. thankfully i have a new album to look forward to. when it's due for release i don't know. but i do know this: asobi seksu has permanently cracked my 'favorite bands of all-time' list.

amazing stuff. thanks, gang!

3 shout outs:

points de vue said...

yeah. it was frakkin' amazing.

but still, i can't believe you. you totally should have talked to her! <3

it's okay though. you don't look goofy. you look handsome in the pic with her. :D

what fun!

Ryan and Shannan Hoffman said...

I love that picture of you with her. That smile is priceless! Looks like a lot of fun!

I am Chree-uz. said...

Dude! Haven't checked the blog since its hard to access at school or work (where I am most of these days) Nice recap! Haha don't worry I felt like a dippis talking to her, me and my busted Japanenglish. What an amazing show!!! I'm with you, the band and especially the "Citrus" album have moved up on various lists significantly.
P.S.- Later I aksed the tour manager when we can expect Hush. He said around February. (!!!) Can't wait!