R.I.P CLUB DV8

if you live in the greater salt lake city, you've not doubt heard by now that club dv8 went up in flames the other night. apparently the building was abandoned at the time and thankfully no one was injured. according to the coppers, it was most likely accidentally set by a squatter and was the largest fire in salt city in many years. the building was unsalvageable and was bulldozed the next day. it's always sad to see an old building go, particularly when they've been around for a century or longer. those old buildings give a city its charm and i can't help but believe the dv8 building has taken a tiny part of the city's soul with it...

i've seen a few shows at dv8 since 1992 when i saw the beautiful south there. that was a great show from one of my top five all-time favorite bands. i went with my girlfriend at the time and my sister, morgan, and future brother-in-law where there, too. good times were definitely had by all. it remains one of my favorite shows ever. i saw the 'shaving the pavement tour' there in 1995 [i know several of you were at that show, too]. that was the first and only time i saw lush, mojave 3 and scheer, but it was a great show. in 2002 i saw badly drawn boy there. it was a 2.5 hour set complete with an intermission. it was exhausting, but it was fun. a year later i saw balligomingo open for gus gus with my sister, annika. so no, i didn't see a ton of shows there, but those i did were a blast. there might have been another show or two in there, but this sieve of a memory i've got doesn't hold the info like it used to. thanks, dv8, for the good times! rest in peace...

here are some selections from the shows i saw there. enjoy.

the beautiful south: woman in the wall
lush
: for love
scheer: wish you were dead
badly drawn boy
: disillusion
gus gus
: polyesterday
balligomingo: purify

2 shout outs:

I am Chree-uz. said...

Isn't that crazy? I think I only went to one show there, and I can't even remember what it was at the moment, but I agree. Its weird that a piece of SLC culture just disappears like that.

Aim said...

It's crazy that it's gone. I saw several good shows there, it's sad that it's gone. We even went to a show there the night that Reed gave me my engagement ring. I can't remember what band it was though. But some that I can remember... Toy Dolls, The Vandals, Weezer, The Revrend Horton Heat, and Several Ska Bands. And the night that I went and saw Eco and the Bunnymen at the Zephyr, Reed saw Guitar Wolf at DV8. Good times, those days of going to shows.