SONG OF THE DAY (#251)

'to be surprised,' by sondre lerche

ever since badly drawn boy struck gold with his 'about a boy' soundtrack,' directors, producers, and writers have been trying to strike gold a second time. you can hardly blame them, can you? the 'about a boy' soundtrack is probably one of the best, if not the best, original soundtrack in many a years. at least it's on of my favorites.

curiously enough, peter hedges, who wrote the screenplay for 'about a boy,' also wrote 'dan in real life,' and true to form, 'dan in real life' features a winner of a soundtrack by sondre lerche. it's not as immediately brilliant as badly drawn boy's soundtrack, but it's still better than most. it's vintage lerche all around--the slightly jazzy riffs, the complex chord structures, and sondre's reliably great vocals. as an added attraction, 'hell no' features guest vocals by regina spektor.

sondre lerche: to be surprised
sondre lerche: hell no [w/regina spektor]

3 shout outs:

zlb said...

true awkward confession (whisper. . .I didn't like Dan in Real Life!)
BUT I LOVED the simone white you sent me a few weeks ago! thank you thank you thank you!!! and I'm excited we are book friends. too bad I'm really crappy at updating that thing, I'll have to get on it. hope your new year is going real real good.

matt lohrke said...

i thought it was pretty so-so myself.... good actors, average script. oh well. :)

glad you enjoyed the simone white! she's great.

I am Chree-uz. said...

I actually rather enjoyed the film, then again I'm pretty easily entertained when it comes to movies.

GREAT soundtrack though!